Architects

Resources

David LeRoy Parrott

Born in Central, South Carolina, on August 16, 1917, Parrott earned his education at Clemson College, graduating with a B.S. in Architecture in 1940. After working as a foreman and architect for the National Park Service in 1941 and 1942, he joined the Army and saw service during World War II. Following the war, he apprenticed with Heyward S. Singley from 1945 to 1952, then worked for Singley’s firm from 1952 to 1957 or 1958 before establishing his own practice in Charleston shortly after leaving Singley’s employ. It is not known when Parrott retired from the field, but he spent his final years in the Henderson, North Carolina, vicinity. He died on February 17, 1997.

In addition to his work on the Mount Pleasant (1963) and the Charleston (1963) armories, Parrott designed a number of buildings, principally in the Charleston vicinity. Among these were the Stephens Restaurant in North Charleston, the Calvary Lutheran Church, the Gadsden House Restaurant, and the SC Employment Security Commission Office in Charleston, and the St. John’s Methodist Church on John’s Island. He also served as the principal architect on the 1968 restoration and renovation of the Charleston County Courthouse.