Chief of Staff, South Carolina Air National Guard
Brig. Gen. Boris R. Armstrong serves as Chief of Staff for Air, South Carolina Air National Guard.
He is responsible for mission readiness, operations and the coordination of more than 1,400 South Carolina Air National Guard members and a $103 million operating budget in support of federal and state missions. He directs the planning, programming, and execution of Air personnel and equipment assigned to the state and assists The Adjutant General in domestic operations response.
General Armstrong is a graduate of the University of Central Oklahoma and earned his commission through Officer Training School. He is a command pilot with more than 4,500 hours logged during assignments with Air Education and Training Command, Pacific Air Forces, Air Combat Command and the Air National Guard, including 581
combat sorties during Operations Southern Watch, Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom. In his civilian capacity, he is a pilot with a major airline. Prior to his current assignment, he was the Director of Operations,Joint Force Headquarters, SCANG.
- 1986 Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration-Finance, Central Oklahoma University, Edmond
- 1996 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
- 2000 United States Air Force Fighter Weapons School, Nellis AFB, Nev.
- 2002 Air Command and Staff College by correspondence
- 2007 Air War College by correspondence
- Bronze Star
- Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
- Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters
- Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
- Air Force Commendation Medal with four oak leaf clusters
- Air Force Achievement Medal
- Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with valor device and oak leaf cluster
- Combat Readiness Medal with three oak leaf clusters
- Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
- National Defense Service Medal with bronze service star
- Afghanistan Campaign Medal with bronze service star
- Iraq Campaign Medal with bronze service star
- Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
- Korean Defense Service Medal
- AF Overseas Ribbon Short with oak leaf cluster
- Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with gold border and service star
- Air Force Longevity Service with oak leaf cluster
- Armed Forces Reserve Medal with bronze hourglass and two M devices
- Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
- Air Force Training Ribbon
- NATO Medal
- South Carolina Meritorious Service Medal
- South Carolina Governor’s Unit Citation
- South Carolina Achievement Ribbon
- South Carolina Active State Service Ribbon with silver palmetto tree
- South Carolina Guardsman Retirement Medal
1. May 1989 – May 1990, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance AFB, Okla.
2. September 1990 – May 1991, Student, F-16 Flying Training Unit, MacDill AFB, Fla.
3. May 1991 – March 1994, F-16C Squadron Programmer, Moody AFB, Ga.
4. March 1994 – March 1995, F-16C Instructor Pilot, Kunsan Air Base, Republic of Korea
5. March 1995 – June 1998, Chief of Squadron Weapons, Luke AFB, Ariz.
6. June 1998 – September 2003, Weapons Officer, McEntireJoint National Guard Base, S.C.
7. September 2003 – April 2010, Program Manager, McEntire JNGB, S.C.
8. April 2010 – May 2011, Operations Officer, McEntire JNGB, S.C.
9. May 2011 – June 2013, Commander, 157th Fighter Squadron,McEntire JNGB, S.C.
10. June 2013 – October 2014, Vice Commander, 169th Fighter Wing, McEntireJNGB, S.C.
11. November 2014 – April 2015, Retired
12. April 2015 – September 2018, Director, A3/A5/A7, Joint Force Headquarters –South Carolina, McEntire JNGB, S.C.
13. September 2018 – Present, Chief of Staff, JFHQ-SC, Columbia, S.C.
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Brigadier General Sept. 4, 2018
(Current as of 7/19/2019)