State Command Chief for the State of South Carolina
Chief Master Sergeant Kevin S. Thomas is the 13th Command Chief Master Sergeant of the state of South Carolina. Chief Thomas serves as the principle advisor to the Adjutant General, Assistant Adjutant General of Air, staff and other key leaders on matters of health, welfare, morale, professional development, good order and discipline and the effective employment of the state’s approximately 1,200 enlisted Airmen.
Chief Thomas enlisted in the United States Air Force in August 1992 and graduated from Security Specialist Technical School, located at Lackland Air Force Base, San Antonio, Texas in December, 1992. During his time on active duty, Chief Thomas was stationed at Kleine Brogel Air Base, Belgium as a custodial agent and at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Tucson Arizona where he served as a security response team leader.
In 1996, Chief Thomas enlisted in the South Carolina Air National Guard. During his time at the 169th Security Forces Squadron, he served in several critical roles including fire team leader, squad leader and unit career advisor. While in the 169th SFS, he deployed in support of Operation Enduring Freedom to Southwest Asia in support of the Global War on Terrorism for which he was awarded the Air Force Commendation Medal
and the Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor. Chief Thomas also deployed in support of Operation Noble Eagle to Seymour-Johnson Air Force Base, Goldsboro, North Carolina. In his civilian capacity, Chief Thomas is an award-winning medical device sales executive. Chief Thomas previously served as the human resource advisor for the 169th Fighter Wing and as the group superintendent with the 169th Mission Support Group. Chief Thomas serves his community in
numerous capacities which include; co-founder and board chairman of Midlands STEM Institute, a public charter school in Winnsboro, South Carolina; co-chairman of the Save A Leg, Save A Life Upstate South Carolina Chapter, a nonprofit limb salvage organization; and as a site leader with Salkehatchie Summer Service, an organization that provides warmer, safer and drier homes for the underprivileged.
Chief Thomas resides in Ridgeway, South Carolina with his wife and three children.
- 1992 Security Specialist Technical School, Lackland AFB, Texas
- 1997 Airman Leadership School, Hanscomb AFB, Mass.
- 1997 Associates in Applied Science, Security Administration, Community College of the Air Force 1998 Security Police Urban Warfare School, Camp Gruber, Okla.
- 2000 Bachelor of Science, Sports Administration, University of South Carolina, Columbia, S.C.
- 2003 Air Force Training Course, McEntire ANGB, S.C.
- 2003 Security Police Craftsman Course, Lackland AFB, Texas
- 2006 NCO Academy, by correspondence 2009 USAF Senior NCO Academy, by correspondence
- 2010 Masters in Business Administration, International Business, Winthrop University, Rock Hill, S.C.
- 2010 Diversity Champions, Charlotte, N.C.
- 2011 Leadership Challenge Program – Level 2, Selfridge Air National Guard Base, Mich.
- 2011 Human Resource Advisor Orientation Course, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
- 2011 Four Lenses, Nashville, Tenn.
- 2015 Air National Guard Chief’s Executive Course, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
- 2015 Contemporary Base Issues, Charlotte, N.C.
- 2015 Professional Manager Certification, Community College of the Air Force
- 2016 Reserve Component National Security Course, Fort McNair, Washington, D.C.
- 2016 Air Force Smart Operations for the 21st Century Executive Leadership Course, Knoxville, Tenn.
- 2016 Senior Joint Professional Military Education, by correspondence
- Meritorious Service Medal with one bronze oak leaf cluster
- Air Force Commendation Medal
- Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor and one bronze oak leaf cluster
- Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
- Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
- Humanitarian Service Medal with one bronze service star
- Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with gold border
- September 1992 – December 1992, Security Specialist Technical School, Lackland AFB, Texas
- December 1992 – February 1995, Custodial Agent, 617th Munitions Support Squadron, Kleine Brogel AB, Belgium
- March 1995 – August 1996, Security Response Team Leader, 355th Security Police Squadron DavisMonthan AFB, Ariz.
- August 1996 – October 2001, Fire Team Leader, 169th Security Forces Squadron, McEntire ANGB, S.C.
- November 2001 – January 2002, Fire Team Leader, Seymour-Johnson AFB, N.C.
- February 2002 – May 2002, Fire Team Leader, 169th Security Forces Squadron, McEntire ANGB, S.C.
- June 2002 – September 2002, Fire Team Leader, Manas AB, Kyrgyzstan
- October 2002 – May 2007, Fire Team Leader, 169th Security Forces Squadron, McEntire JNGB, S.C.
- June 2007 – February 2010, Squad Leader, 169th Security Forces Squadron, McEntire JNGB, S.C
- March 2010 – June 2015, 169th Wing Human Resource Advisor, McEntire JNGB, S.C
- July 2015 – May 2016, 169th Mission Support Group Superintendent, McEntire JNGB, S.C
- June 2016 – Present, State Command Chief, South Carolina Air National Guard, McEntire JNGB, S.C
- Enlisted Association of the National Guard of the United States – Life Member
- National Guard Association of South Carolina -Life Member
- Air Force Association -Life Member
- National Guard Association of the United States – Associate Member
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
- Master Sergeant, August 2007
- Senior Master Sergeant, August 2010
- Chief Master Sergeant, February 2015
- Command Chief Master Sergeant, June 2016
Download Bio in PDF Format