The South Carolina National Guard has units throughout South Carolina and we strive to be a good neighbors and community partners. As a community-based organization, the South Carolina National Guard supports and participates in events throughout the state to benefit our citizens and give them insight into their National Guard. These events, such as parades, ceremonies and patriot celebrations are as important to us as they are to the groups and communities that sponsor them.
While every attempt is made to support Community Relations requests, it is not always possible to support every event due to training requirements, previous commitments, budget constraints, or mobilizations. Keep in mind that the South Carolina National Guard is primarily staffed by a part time force when not actively engaged with a federal or state mission or deployed. All requests will be reviewed to ensure events are in accordance with National Guard Bureau Public Affairs Manual 360-5 (NGB PAM 360-5), Army Regulation 360-1 (AR 360-1) and Air Force Instruction 35-101 (AFI 35-101).
*See the bottom of this page for examples of what can and cannot be supported.
Due to the regulations and training schedules of our assets and units, requests must be submitted, prior to the event, to the South Carolina National Guard Public Affairs office no later than:
90 days for Static vehicle display/parade vehicle(s)
90 days for Helicopter static display
90 days for Helicopter flyover
30 days for a Guest speaker
Any request that is sent to the Public Affairs office with less than the required time, must have an Exception to Policy form signed by the requestor to acknowledge that the time constraints will lessen the likelihood of support ability from our organization.
Exception to Policy Form (Downloadable Copy)
To request community relations support for South Carolina National Guard assets, please fill out the Community Relations Event Worksheet (C.R.E.W.) and submit it to the Public Affairs office (with an exception to policy form also, if within less than the required time) to:
Community Relations Event Worksheet (Downloadable Copy)
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
1 National Guard Road, Stop #8 (PAO)
Columbia, SC 29201
Once your request has been sent in and vetted by our Community Relations Officer, they will reach out to you and give you a tracking ID for your request and further guidance as to the next steps to take and what support is available (as long as the request meets all guidelines and regulations).
For Fixed Wing (Air National Guard) flyovers or static displays, please visit http://www.airshows.pa.hq.af.mil/PublicSite/Index.cfm?fwa=home.
Requests should be completed, signed, approved by the FAA and submitted back to the Department of Defense at least 90 days in advance of the event. Incomplete forms and requests will not be considered. The Department of Defense U.S. Air Force and U.S. Army determine whether the event is eligible for support, not the South Carolina National Guard.
Military Support or Participation may be cancelled by the U.S. Government/National Guard with little notice due to events that may arise impacting the readiness of units.
—-Some basic support guidelines—-
- Events must be open and advertised to the public
- Does not include guest speaker events, however, the event will still be vetted and checked to ensure the requesting organization meets certain criteria
- Flyovers must have a projected attendance of 5,000+ individuals
- Birthdays are not considered public events. We can send certificates or other materials, but not military assets
- Precedence is placed on the 5 major patriotic holidays
- Armed Forces Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- POW/MIA Day
- Veterans Day
- The South Carolina National Guard cannot support any politically partisan event or event geared to an election
- Requests cannot ask for soldiers to provide laborious duties such as: ushers, escorts, construction, or other tasks that can be done through outside organizations/volunteers
- Support cannot be provided to events that have an admission fee, paid dues to attend, or are raising funds for any means
- The South Carolina National Guard cannot be used for requests that can be made to outside businesses such as: construction, transportation, etc.
- Even after support is committed to an event, they may have to cancel support due to real world events that can arise. You will be notified if that occurs
- You must send in a new request, with paperwork, for every event you request support, even if we have supported this event in the past
- If you have any questions or concerns about anything on this page, please call the Public Affairs office
Capt. Cody I. Denson
South Carolina National Guard
Public Affairs Officer