The South Carolina Army National Guard traces its origins to the military tradition that provided protection for the colonial government and its citizens beginning in 1670. It was not until 1903, however, that the South Carolina Army National Guard (SCARNG) began to take on its modern characteristics. By the mid-1940s, several SCARNG Armories were under construction across the state. A second building campaign in the late 1950s to mid-1960s completed the armory complexes familiar today to so many Guard personnel and the communities in which they serve.
“The armories as a whole represent an exceptionally important aspect of … Cold War reorganization and modernization.”
– Keeper of the Register, 2011
In 2010, the University of South Carolina’s Applied Research Division, a division of the South Carolina Institute of Archaeology and Anthropology, conducted a historical survey and National Register evaluations of fifteen SCARNG armory complexes within the state of South Carolina. The project resulted in an extensive report and, ultimately, in a finding by the National Park Service’s Keeper of the Register that all fifteen armory complexes are eligible for the National Register of Historic Places. Faces of the Guard features these fifteen armories in historical context.
Helicopter Training Exercises and Sling Load Training
South Carolina Army National Guard Proposed Low-Level Helicopter Training Exercises and Sling Load Training Final Environmental Assessment (EA) and Draft Finding of No Significant Impact (FNSI) North Carolina and South Carolina